Saturday, March 17, 2007

Something there is that doesn't love a wall…



This lot is my lot.
That lot is your lot
Except for that spot,
And the federal zone plot….

I have avoided talking about the situation across the street, but with a little help from Woody Guthrie and Robert Frost, perhaps I can find the words. Two lots, two owners, a number of disputed property lines, several lawsuits finally resolved. One big wall, just to prove the point. Thanks, “Winner.” We think of you every morning at breakfast. Where we should be looking at blue water, we see gray brick. Everyone gets it. That lot on the end is YOURS!

It is now for sale. Winner says she doesn’t want to build on it anymore. Won’t somebody we know and love PLEASE buy it, take down that wall and build a pretty house with a knock your socks off view? Buy that other little one in the middle, as well! It’s not so VERY little…..you could split it with Bruce and Jeanette and make a wonderful seaside garden. And we would raise our juice glasses in gratitude every morning.


“Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offence.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That wants it down.' I could say 'Elves' to him,
But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather
He said it for himself. I see him there
Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top
In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed.
He moves in darkness as it seems to me~
Not of woods only and the shade of trees.
He will not go behind his father's saying,
And he likes having thought of it so well
He says again, "Good fences make good neighbors."

Yeah. Right.

No comments: