Thursday, March 22, 2007

It's ART, already

Just a heads up to friends and family before you visit. I've kind of gone nuts over the Virgin of Guadalupe. The interest has been lying dormant for a long time....and I'll write more about how it's sort of blossomed out now in a future blog. I think it has to do with my longstanding affection for Latin America and its people. Lupita and what she stands for just seem intrinsically woven into the fabric of life down here. The celebration we shared with Chano and Hilda last December (see that post and wade through it if you have the time) meant a whole lot to me. It was a real welcome to Mexico. So when you visit you're going to see her, and maybe a whole lot more "sacred" objects.

I was doing some research the last few days, seeing if I could find any of those petroglyph symbols at Alta Vista in my copy of The Woman's Dictionary of Symbols and Sacred Objects. The compiler and author is Barbara Walker, and she sums it up nicely: “The study of sacred objects, past and present, provides insight into the minds that create them and respond to them. Such a study expands the horizons of thought, which may lead to better understanding of the self as well as the rest of humanity.”

Speaking of sacred objects, Larry is selling his surf van this weekend. More on THAT later. It's market day today, and I've got Mom and her friend Teresa rarin' to go shop!

No comments: