Saturday, January 27, 2007

You want fish, Lady?

Were you wondering where that path leads on the previous post? This is where it comes out on the beach. And there you've got the island beyond. Always something further out there, right?

Those who know me have always accused me of wanderlust. But it should be obvious by now that this blog is far from a travelogue -- unless it's one of the spirit. I've come to rest on a delightful shore where the scenery is beautiful and the people are terrific. I plan on staying put for a while. If there is any pull going on, it comes from the past -- and that is fast losing its power. It's not that I want to "chuck it all" and move on with empty hands. Some things are worth saving. It's like those fishermen we see so often on this beach. You bring in the net and there's a lot you need to get rid of. But the dorado and huachinango -- those are the keepers.

So I'm sitting here in the sand sorting through what I've got in my net -- the culture, the concepts, the career -- and like someone new to the whole concept of fishing, I'm asking questions:

  • What's that nice fat one called? Is it good to eat?
  • Yuck! Where did that slimy thing come from?
  • Is there really any use for all this seaweed? It sure gets tangled in everything.
  • Do I need a new net? Or shall I just keep mending this old one?
...the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind: Which, when it was full, they drew to shore, and sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but cast the bad away. Matt 13:47,48
While I'm at this this morning, one more question: I want to know why my camera doesn't take great pictures like it used to. I must have changed the resolution or something. Lately everthing looks grainy. Take a look at the most recent photos on Luke and Emily's blog. They're in San Cristobal de las Casas. That photo of the three women on the church steps is breathtaking.

I feel like I've been on a learning curve this past year that resembles a skateboard half pipe: the world of international wire transfers, Mexican taxes, the intricacies (or lack thereof) of foreign plumbing. (Don't ask. You really don't want to know.) And that doesn't even take into account anything remotely digital. I may be busy sorting through my net, but the waves keep crashing away. I'm going back to bed and pulling the covers way over my head.




No comments: